Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My Reading Rant

Aaarrgh!!! I was really looking forward to my vacation and the opportunity to catch up on reading. Not serious stuff – although I do have one serious book with me – but rather, fluff, you know, bestseller nonfiction. I wanted a good story that did not require a lot of thought. I wanted to be able to coast though a book and just enjoy the ride. Completely missing Sex and the City, at the top of my list was Candace Bushnell’s latest work, Lipstick Jungle. What a rip-off. The book had to have been published based on her name only. I was annoyed by the characters and 353 pages I read in search of a plot. Moreover, the references to pop culture as well as the secondary characters and stories drawn from the tabloids just got to be too much. Yet, I read the entire book. Why? I can’t explain it, but for some reason I feel compelled to finish books that I start, even when they are really bad. I think that at some point, the story has to get better. It rarely does. The only upside is that I did not pay full price for the book. Gotta love Amazon.

1 comment:

MissCosmoKuwait said...

So sorry to hear that you wasted precious time reading a loser book..I would be pissed too...I miss books that you can't put down..even if they trashy novels that make life sound hopeful..:)...oh..I read your other post about cosmo...too cute...and totally agree...the hypocracy of it all...wtf!