Thursday, October 27, 2005

I think I'm in Love

After a decades-long quest, I think I have finally found what I’ve been looking for. I’ve searched and searched, and suffered many disappointments, but I’m finally satisfied – at least for now. In case you think I’m writing about some man, let me clarify that after a series of rants, I’m finally raving … raving about my new jeans. I think I have found my perfect pair. A little history: growing up, jeans were only for the weekend and I was in my teens when my mother finally let me and my sister wear them to school. Of course, they had to be ironed with a razor sharp crease down the leg. When my mother was angry with us, she sent the jeans to the cleaners where they were starched and pressed which made getting dressed in the era of skin-tight jeans very difficult. I have lain on the floor to wiggle into my jeans. By my senior year of high school, my favorite pair of jeans were men’s Levi’s which had been so well worn that the denim felt like soft flannel. They had faded to an almost white, the belt loops had come off, and one pocket was missing. Thinking they were rags, my mom threw them away, thus the start of my search, which was complicated by the fact that I need a 36” inseam. In college, my uncle’s girlfriend introduced me to Gap jeans. They were long enough, but not quite right. Over the years, each time Levi’s launched a custom-fit program, I was measured and bought a pair of jeans. I even sat in the tub in the San Francisco store so that my 501s would shrink to fit. I got some decent jeans out of the program, but something was always not quite right: too high of a waist giving the Mom-jeans look, a straight leg that was a little too wide since there was no tapering from my thunder thighs to the hem, or a really heavy fabric that never gave. I’ve also tried every designer option available. I did guess jeans when they were popular and wore once, a pair of Dolce & Gabbana jeans that were cut too low for my comfort. I’ve invested in a few pairs of 7 for all mankind, which I believe only truly look good on stick figures. And I have a great pair from a tall company, but they are so ornate and detailed, that they can’t be worn too often. In the spring, I discovered Christopher Blue jeans, but while everyone is wearing dark denim, they only make a faded style in my size. I was ready to give up, but while lolling around on vacation, I read an issue of Real Simple, which I always considered to be real stupid. There was an article on the best of everything and at the top of the list was Lucky Brand Jeans, which come in tall sizes. I ordered 2 pair since I had nothing to lose. They are low-rise without being obscenely low (meaning I can sit and bend without flashing anyone), long enough that I can wear a slight heel with them, dark enough that they can be dressed up, and while there’s enough room to fit my ample things, they are snug enough around my narrow (for my build) hips that I don’t have to wear a belt. They are so comfortable that the first day I wore them, I even took a nap in them. How I wish I had found these jeans before. But maybe it’s true that good things come to those you wait and had I not had so many jean failures, I would not appreciate this sweet success.

1 comment:

MissCosmoKuwait said...

Mabroook girl! That's great...good for you...actually you now got me thinking to go searching for a new one myself....I love jeans and the closest I got to the perfect one was GAP then I just had to have a Versace...but take it or leave it...i still feel there's something missing....can't wait to fall in love...hopefully I'll find mine soon..:)