Sunday, November 27, 2005

Take a Cab Instead

What is the deal about parking in Kuwait? We all know there is a shortage of parking spaces wherever you go, but why is it that some idiot always decides to make the situation worse by taking up two or more spaces? I don't support it, but I can understand if someone who drives a Hummer, Escalade or some other land yacht has problems "docking" the vehicle between two narrow lines, but there is no excuse for a Mini to straddle spaces. A few days ago, my mother and I took advantage of the beautiful weather to drive out to Al Kut mall. The last time I tried to go, I abandoned my quest because the lines into the parking lot were too long. Friday, the lot was crowded as cars snaked in and out of the lanes in search of the perfect spot. I don't mind the hunt, but it was infuriating to see car after car after car taking up more than one space. What is the reason for such obnoxious behavior? Is it poor driving skills?(It's a rhetorical question, but I had to ask.) I tend to think that it is utter selfishness, the whole me-first attitude that propels drivers to cut you off on the expressway and stop a lane of traffic as they try to make a u-turn from a non-turning lane. The Government recently cracked down on the issuance of driver's licenses. It's going to take a lot more than forbidding some low wage worker from South Asia from driving to improve the traffic situation. Don't even get me started on the thousands of small childern on restrained by car seats or seat belts. I recently saw a mother driving, talking on her mobile, and holding an infant in her lap. God forbid her airbag deploy because the child would have been instantly killed.

No comments: